Some scores "branded": why?

Moderator: kcleung

Dog Sniper

Some scores "branded": why?

Post by Dog Sniper »

Why are some of the scores on this website "branded"? By that, I mean there is an ugly label at the top left of every page. It is obviously not part of the original scan and was added in later for some reason.

I don't like it. I don't like to complain and nitpick about a free service (and a good one at that) but it really bothers me. It's only on some of the scores, too. Is there a way to remove this, since it's liable to be a vector graphic in the PDF superimposed on the static, scanned image of the score sheet?

Thanks for your time and patience.
Dog Sniper

May have answered my own question

Post by Dog Sniper »

Pardon me, but I may have answered my own question. It would appear, from a visit to http://www.sheetmusicfox.com, that all of the "branded" scores on this site are transferred from SheetMusicFox. Therefore, it is their responsibility for having branded many of the scores that appear on this site. I apologize for having jumped to conclusions.

Still, can anyone help me remove those ugly labels? I find them utterly repulsive.

Thanks for your understanding.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Can you point to a specific file?

Also, what exactly do you mean by "branding"? What is the text branded?
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

If it's a vector in the pdf superposed on the image, you can remove them with adobe acrobat. but I fear it's embedded in the bitmap of the score, so you need to extract the image, remove the logo, and put it back in the pdf.

if you encounter a logo of Cd sheet music, please drop a note, because these are not allowed.
goldberg988
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by goldberg988 »

I think he's referring to those files that came from an old website, somthing like bh2000.net or something, which were copied to sheetmusicfox.com (example: Brahms symphonies). The branding referred to is just the title of the work in the upper left. I think it's part of the bitmap unfortunately.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Well, one could theoretically remove it without any quality detriment, but is it worth the time being spent on it? Maybe scanning some new scores is more productive :)
Dog Sniper

Thanks for the replies

Post by Dog Sniper »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Actually, the Brahms symphonies were precisely what led me to bring this up. Beautiful scores, except for the branding.

Whether or not it's a vector graphic, it's quite removable; it's just more difficult if it's part of the bitmap. But either way, it will take some time to clean them manually from all the infected files on the site. It's certainly possible to automate the process, but regrettably I don't have the technical wherewithal to propose such a solution.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

an easier solution is to apply a white square above the text. then there's no need to edit the bitmap. as the text is in the same place on all pages, this can be automated with macro.
I only know adobe acrobat can do this but there must be other programs too.

It's important that there's no quality loss - with each recompression there's quality loss.