The return of IMSLP

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

scottorr
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by scottorr »

I remember way back in September or October, there was large discussion about preparing works that would come into public domain on January 1st, 2008. This never really happened because of the take-down, however not that a date has been set for the return of IMSLP, perhaps we could start a recollection of all of these works, to be uploaded the return?

I know one of the composers that was much talked about was Sibelius, among others. There was a list on the IMSLP Wiki, that could be used to see which composers have entered the PD club.
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

scottorr wrote:I remember way back in September or October, there was large discussion about preparing works that would come into public domain on January 1st, 2008. This never really happened because of the take-down, however not that a date has been set for the return of IMSLP, perhaps we could start a recollection of all of these works, to be uploaded the return?

I know one of the composers that was much talked about was Sibelius, among others. There was a list on the IMSLP Wiki, that could be used to see which composers have entered the PD club.
Here is the list that I have (Take it with a grain of salt):

* Countries with terms of life-plus-70 (EU and most of Europe)
o Maurice Ravel (1875-1937)
o George Gershwin (1898-1937)
o Louis Vierne (1870-1937)
o Charles-Marie Widor (1840-1937)
o Karol Szymanowski (1882-1937)
o Hubay, Jenö (1858-1937)
* Countries with terms of life-plus-50 (Canada, China, Japan, S. Korea, etc.)
o Canteloube, Joseph (1879-1957)
o Eric Coates (1886-1957)
o Gnesin, Mikhail (1883-1957)
o Goedicke, Alexander (1877-1957)
o Józef Hofmann (1876-1957)
o Erich Wolfgang Korngold (1897-1957)
o Shepherd, Arthur (1880-1957)
o Jean Sibelius (1865-1957)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

(EU and most of Europe)
You mean US right? :P
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Yagan Kiely wrote:
(EU and most of Europe)
You mean US right? :P
How about just "EU"? US isn't fitting because of the crazy extensions applied to post-1922 works (so, eg, Gershwin isn't PD in the US yet).
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Great to hear that IMSLP is going to back online. That means I'll have to start scanning again and also replace some existing ones I uploaded earlier with better quality ones.
Yagan, would it be better to have 3 types of copyright laws be applied in IMSLP ie. US, Canada and EU?
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

Very glad tidings! Congratulations!

Now I can't remember what scores I had prepared but didn't get a chance to upload before the shutdown. It is hoped that I'll still be able to find them on my computer... :? :wink:
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

Don't all upload at once on 1 July or the system will crash! :shock:

(20,000 files, here we come!)

We need some kind of roster system so that different people in different time zones around the world upload or download at certain times, thus spreading out the bandwidth use. (Maybe just during the first week or two when it will be very, very busy.)

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

It will probably crash regardless of uploads. :P

Vivaldi: I'm honestly not sure, maybe talk to the main page admins??
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

I am sure that thousands of people have already scanned thousands of pieces and are waiting for IMSLP to go on line again in order to contribute these great works. It surely will be an interesting first few days when (if) it does come online again. I hope the server can handle the load! I know many people that can not wait for this to come on line again.
Doeron

Post by Doeron »

you could also restrict uploads to some accounts. --Doeron
Cillian64
regular poster

Post by Cillian64 »

I'd have thought the mobs of people swarming to download would be more of an issue
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

I would think (and hope) that as many of the pieces would be downloaded and then uploaded to other sites as quickly as possible. Just in case IMSLP decides to go down and take the entire site as well (AGAIN). If all these people have taken the time to scan (and/or find) pieces that are in the public domain and upload them to one site, then naturally it is completely OK to download them and put them on as many other sites as possible or use them as they see fit. I would think it wise to save these pieces to other sites to make sure their time spent is to benefit all in the long run. I spent hours and days uploading pieces... and... as of yet.... IMSLP has not returned!!!

But this is just my personal opinion... It may be wrong... It may be right???
MJ-Valladares

Why the whole site?

Post by MJ-Valladares »

First of all I think that everything that has happed is a shame, because this site has been a great tool for musicians to learn, practice and improve their musical skills, I cite my case as an example. However, I wonder; if the problem arose because of copyright issues over certain musical pieces, then, why coudn't thoose particular pieces been temporarily removed and leave all the others that are of public domain accessible?

Probably, I've haven't said anything new, but it's something to think about, as I assume that the austrian publishers aren't against the divulgation of the works of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin, Liszt, Grieg, Sibelius, Schubert, Schumann, Vivaldi, Rossini, etc.; since the copyright protection of their works are long ago unexistent, I'm almost certain of it.

Now, is it possible to at least return these works back to public access?

Sincerely...
M.J.Valladares.
CameronMB

Awesome

Post by CameronMB »

Just wanna say awesome, congratulations, I'm happy for everybody. I'm very excited. And again reiterate my respect for Feldmahler through all of this, and my apologies for some undue haranguing I threw out there a long time ago.

:D
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Generoso, and anyone afraid of too high a traffic spike (from downloading files):

The following material will be available following IMSLP's resurrection in the following sequence:

1. Files (via bittorrent, which should hopefully greatly mitigate the traffic spike, though that is very wishful thinking)
2. Database with sensitive information removed
3. Code (which is open sourced)

The first will be released along with IMSLP's resurrection; the other two shortly after.