Greetings !

Moderator: kcleung

CPDL guy
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Greetings !

Post by CPDL guy »

Hello,

My name is Rafael Ornes and I manage the Choral Public Domain Library. I just want to say hi and congratulate you guys! Aren't wiki's fun?

Best,

Rafael
ornes@cpdl.org
Sphemusator
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Greetings Rafael

Post by Sphemusator »

<hug> It's a pleasure to see you here. I'm not sure how Feldmahler would feel about this, but personally I would like to see some kind of affiliation between CPDL and IMSLP whether formal or informal.

I quite often check the CPDL to see what new goodies have been added but I try to avoid stepping on toes by duplicating what is available there.

My thinking is that people looking for music on the CPDL may also be looking for non-choral music, so a link between the two sites might be mutually helpful.
Promoting the music of James Butt, f.i.a.l.
http://sphemusations.tripod.com/

And my own work
http://kittybriton.deviantart.com/gallery/

Now open: Kittybriton's Muddlery
http://kittybriton.etsy.com/
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Welcome to IMSLP!

I agree completely with Sphemusator, which is also partly why the Vocal categories here on IMSLP don't exactly have a huge number of scores, since I know that vocal stuff is covered very well by CPDL. Though, there is the slight difference that IMSLP is mostly scans where CPDL is mostly retypesetted scores, so I guess that's why the vocal categories still exist :)

Anyway, I think that some kind of linking between IMSLP and CPDL would benefit both sites very much, but I do not yet know how best to go about this... maybe we should start with a simple link on the front page?

-- Feldmahler
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hi!

I happen to be one of the admins over at CPDL, and have recently subscribed here, after taking stock of some of the bits of the Bach Gesamtausgabe that have been made available :-)

You're quite right that CPDL tends to be more in the line of fresh typesetting, as opposed to scanning out-of-print PD scores here at IMSLP, and I think the complementary approaches of the two sites each have merit.

I was surprised when looking at one of the new links - Cantique de Jean Racine, which incidentally I am currently rehearsing - to find it was in fact Rafael's score from CPDL that had been duplicated here, rather than being a scan say of Fauré's original choir+piano arrangement. I don't think it would be terribly practical to run through the CPDL catalogue - currently in the middle 13,000s - to find works to add here...

I may well end up posting some full scores of interest - I have set a variety of works in Sibelius, which I can easily master to PDF in reasonably concise format as compared to high quality scans. In particular, I'm something of a Berlioz nut, and quite a deal of effort has gone into scores of his, some transcribed by myself, but to a greater degree transcribed by the editor of hberlioz.com, Michel Austin. You may wish to write him an e-mail to respectfully ask if he would be willing to contribute his Sibelius scores to IMSLP; he has meticulously transcribed *all* of Berlioz's orchestral and instrumental works, usually from first editions. Anyway, it's a thought.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

pml wrote:I was surprised when looking at one of the new links - Cantique de Jean Racine, which incidentally I am currently rehearsing - to find it was in fact Rafael's score from CPDL that had been duplicated here, rather than being a scan say of Fauré's original choir+piano arrangement. I don't think it would be terribly practical to run through the CPDL catalogue - currently in the middle 13,000s - to find works to add here...
I actually rather discourage the submission of CPDL works onto IMSLP just because it is completely pointless... but a few stray submissions have gotten in, and I don't really have a good reason to remove them, since they do not violate copyright (even I can't just delete any file without a valid justification...). But rest assured, I'm not by any means encouraging the submission of CPDL works; and will actively discourage such if this becomes too much (currently I think there are less than 10 or so CPDL works on IMSLP, though I haven't counted). If you found a lot of CPDL works (usually coming from one submitter) on IMSLP, give me a shout and I'll do something about it... though there will always be strays unfortunately, just because of the set up :/ I hope you can understand!

Also, feel free to edit the page and add a link to CPDL in that file entry if you find a score that didn't already have attribution to CPDL :)
I may well end up posting some full scores of interest - I have set a variety of works in Sibelius, which I can easily master to PDF in reasonably concise format as compared to high quality scans. In particular, I'm something of a Berlioz nut, and quite a deal of effort has gone into scores of his, some transcribed by myself, but to a greater degree transcribed by the editor of hberlioz.com, Michel Austin. You may wish to write him an e-mail to respectfully ask if he would be willing to contribute his Sibelius scores to IMSLP; he has meticulously transcribed *all* of Berlioz's orchestral and instrumental works, usually from first editions. Anyway, it's a thought.
Wow... nice! I might contact him soon when I get the time :) Of course, I also welcome any submission that you might make to IMSLP hehe :)

Yours,
Feldmahler
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Wow... nice! I might contact him soon when I get the time
Let me just emphasise or reiterate that you request him respectfully, given that his Sibelius scores are such a useful resource to a worldwide public interested in the works of Berlioz, and if you can satisfy him that he would retain copyright and control, that the scores would be an extremely useful contribution in PDF format, while for all other resources (e.g. the scores themselves as Scorch pages) visitors to the IMSLP would be referred to his site. He's liable to be quite stand-offish, or uninterested if he perceives it to be a commercial or mercenary approach.

I'll upload one or two morsels that I have in my collection - at least the ones which have been thoroughly proof-read!

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

There is a thread on crosslinking between IMSLP and CPDL over at the CPDL forum. Please chime in.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to register on the CPDL forums (the activation e-mail never arrives), and trying to login produces a blank screen. Anyway, I suppose I can answer here.

About automatic linking... it would actually be rather trivial to do on IMSLP's side. I can reverse the name order differences easily with a parser hook... I've already hacked the software apart anyway (the composer category link is actually generated from the page name). But, the reason I haven't done this is because I'm afraid of subtle differences in names, for example, possible issues with capitalization and the decision to include or exclude certain middle names. This is why I think in the end it is easier to just manually add links. Plus one would have to manually add the links on CPDL's side anyway.

About the placement... the reason I've placed the CPDL link at the top of the page is because I wanted to emphasize the connection between IMSLP and CPDL; I'd perfer it if CPDL could do the same, but of course I in no way know the CPDL wiki contribution style, or have any authority over the matter; therefore what I say is purely a recommendation. If you guys really think that putting the link at the bottom of the page fits with CPDL's style more, then so be it :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

I have posted a notification about the above posting over at CPDL, and some wild thoughts. Have a look...
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I like your idea! I'd say we first start with IMSLP/CPDL (since these two are the natural pair), and then expand out :)

About the Trout Quintet, yes it is in the public domain; all files scanned by the Indiana University are in the public domain :) Though they are also quite low quality unfortunately...
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

About automatic linking... it would actually be rather trivial to do on IMSLP's side. I can reverse the name order differences easily with a parser hook... I've already hacked the software apart anyway (the composer category link is actually generated from the page name). But, the reason I haven't done this is because I'm afraid of subtle differences in names, for example, possible issues with capitalization and the decision to include or exclude certain middle names. This is why I think in the end it is easier to just manually add links. Plus one would have to manually add the links on CPDL's side anyway.
I've done some mucking around with Templates which achieves similar results, partly because doing it as a parser hook requires access to the CPDL Mediawiki installation that I doubt that I possess, and secondly, I would not want to make a server-wide change :)

Templates being comparatively small-scale, they also allow some useful flexibility in implementation that you've touched on as an issue - for example, at one stage my iTunes Library included the composer named "Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber", which looked rather absurd alongside "Havergal Brian" and "Hector Berlioz", both of whom had additional names (William and Louis respectively) that I had decided were superfluous - and so the amended name is "Heinrich Biber" (rather than some other mutation resembling H. I. F. v B.) Noting that IMSLP uses the full name for this composer, it makes for long category names by the automated method.

It sounds like some of the methods you've used in setting up aspects of IMSLP's design would be worth us (i.e. CPDL) taking advantage of, that is, if you're happy to let us in on some of your secrets. ;-)

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
bobnotts
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by bobnotts »

Hi guys. I've just started adding some links to CPDL (even though they're broken at the mo...!) on the Fauré and Bruckner pages in the manner that a link was added on the Beethoven page by Feldmahler. I hope that's all ok.

Rob