Remove scores by Nikolas Sideris, temporarily, please

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

nikolas
regular poster

Remove scores by Nikolas Sideris, temporarily, please

Post by nikolas »

I have been trying to find some way to contact someone in IMSLP, but I'm unable, so I had to post here.

I'm Nikolas Sideris, the composer of 5 works, of which scores you hold in IMSLP. I HAD given permission for the scores to be posted in IMSLP, but for personal reasons, and for the moment, I'd like the scores to be removed please. I believe that the person who uploaded the scores was juji*** (don't remember the full name, but he's also Greek).

Let me know what I need to do to remove the scores, at least for now.

Thanks,

Nikolas Sideris
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

I think the guy you mean is username jujimufu, with an impossibly-conjugated double-hyphenated first name and surname. Something virtually impossible for the non-Hellenes among us to consistently spell, like, Nicalaos-Laonicos Psalmicas-Chalcodonicis (I am typing this from memory!)

If you want, I can change the permissions on your files to N/N/N, which means "copyright, permission NOT granted", and the scores will be inaccessible to any visitor to IMSLP or IMSLP user. As you say, the personal reasons are "for the moment", and this allows us to change the works back to N!/N!/N! "copyright, permission granted" with minimal effort.

EDIT: The files are now all blocked.

Regards, Philip
Last edited by pml on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
PML (talk)
nikolas
regular poster

Post by nikolas »

I've had these 5 scores, linked elsewhere (to sheetmusicplus or sheetmusicarchive.net) and I'm treating it as a highly offensive issue (since they are asking for subscription in order for anyone to download scores). It is copyright infrigment of the worst kind, which offends me as much as you:
(here the link: http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single ... ser_id=663)

Until I do manage to contact them, and until I get around to putting an awful, but as it appears necessary watermark in my scores, do please remove them. Unless you can gurantee that nobody will be able to download the pdf files, in which case leave them on, for now, until I get around to making watermarks so that they can be more difficult to sell.

Yes, this is juji (Nikolaos Laonikos, and something else ;) You remember correctly and we've met in London once).

Anyways, thanks for your help.

Nikolas
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

Dear Nikolas,

The files are now inaccessible to everyone apart from the IMSLP copyright review team (the membership of which is extremely limited, and who are not in the business of intentionally breaking the law).

If you wish, make new versions of your PDFs with watermarks/copyright notices to your satisfaction, and N-L P-C (jujimufu) or myself can upload them in place of the current PDFs.

I recommend writing to Sheet Music Archive demanding unconditional removal of your files that they have appropriated in violation of the non-commercial usage clauses of the Creative Commons copyright licence.

I’ve had similar problems in the past, and usually a carefully worded e-mail does the trick.

Best regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
Josef
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Josef »

Thank you, Nikolas, for bringing this up. I've found myself there, too (http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single ... ser_id=196), and sent an email immediately.
nikolas
regular poster

Post by nikolas »

Josef,

This is REALLY sad! :( I wonder how many more composers have their works up there.

For some further information:
Registrant:
JM

PO Box 219
Green Village, New Jersey 07935
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: SHEETMUSICARCHIVE.NET
Created on: 27-Jul-01
Expires on: 27-Jul-14
Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
Mamoun, John mamounjo@umdnj.edu
JM
PO Box 219
Green Village, New Jersey 07935
United States

Technical Contact:
Mamoun, Monir monirmamoun@hotmail.com
Natex-Sheetmusicarchive
45 park place south #258
Morristown, New Jersey 07960
United States

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.LNHI.NET
NS2.LNHI.NET
NS3.LNHI.NET

Registry Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Status: clientRenewProhibited
Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Status: clientUpdateProhibited
From WhoIS.

It appears that the website is registered to one John Mamoun, who IS a dentist and works, or studies in http://www.umdnj.edu/ .

His e-mail address (mamounjo@something.edu) bounced back, but googling his name "John Mamoun", gave this: http://www.wellness.com/dir/2257740/den ... n-dmd-fagd

So, I'll attempt to contact him through there, or even call him, if needed!

I find that their attempt is disgusting, to say the least.

On another issue. It does appear that sheetatchiveplus.net got ahold of my scores through IMSLP.

If the actual pdf files in there are the SAME files that IMSLP has, for other composers, in public domain, wouldn't be a wise move to hunt this guy(s) down?

Nikolas
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

The non-commercial typesets by Nancho Alvarez of Victoria motets are also there and require subscription. Ridiculous.
nikolas
regular poster

Post by nikolas »

Ok,

Just saw the following quote, in the IMSLP page:
Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike 3.0

* to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
* to Remix — to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:

Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).

Attribute this work:
Information
What does "Attribute this work" mean?
The page you came from contained embedded licensing metadata, including how the creator wishes to be attributed for re-use. You can use the HTML here to cite the work. Doing so will also include metadata on your page so that others can find the original work as well.

Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.

Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
* For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.
* Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
* Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.
Phillip, for now I do wish my scores to be totally removed from IMSLP.

At this point there is no other choice for this and unless I take them off the internet I don't see any other way to battle the SMA guy.

I'll research on other CC licenses and let you know.
Josef
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Josef »

My files are downloadable for free now, without any need for registration and without any advertising on my page. They stated, it had been a failure in the program which caused the blocking of my files ... Anyhow, as is it is now, it seems ok.

Nikolas, your Sheetmusicarchive page seems to be already deleted?

The Creative Commons licenses still (3.0) seem to need some adaptions for they are not too well accepted by European collecting societies (except Buma/Stemra as I know). Which is the reason why Feldmahler created the Performance Restricted Attribution Non-commercial No Derivatives 1.0 license (in a 6-hour nearly all-nighter) for composers who are in a situation with a collecting society to be able to put their works on IMSLP. It's a great license.

One thing's for sure, as you give your scores to the internet they are in the open (at least as long as those security fanatics won't shut it down through overregulation). In the open, there is blind plundering as there is re-creation. Let's the latter prevail by helping the former find its creative potential.
nikolas
regular poster

Post by nikolas »

Yup, Josef, same for me. I told them to keep them out of their database, as well as here in IMSLP, until I get around to putting a watermark. I plan on trying to publish them physically, so I need to put these watermarks around...

Still, at least I found a way towards them, and they have been responsive after all!

I'll take a closer look to the new license (which seems awesome). The only (from a brief look), I would consider is the "massive redistribution". Of course it makes sense for file sharing, it's absolutely fine. But adding them in a database (per SMA and IMSLP, etc), still would require permission, in my opinion.

Anyways, I have my son ill, so can't post a lot right now, but things are in my mind and will speak more later on!

Thanks Josef, thanks everyone, thanks Phil! :)