Publishing transcriptions of non-PD works

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

musicnerd
regular poster

Publishing transcriptions of non-PD works

Post by musicnerd »

I have a question and I will give an example so it's easier to be understood.
Let's say that I want to make an arrangement from some work of A. Piazzolla. I buy the original Score, then make the transcription to let's say Organ, or an Orchestra. Would I then be able to sell this transcription? Or am I violating something?
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

Piazzola died in 1992. I would imagine you'd have to ask his publisher or estate for permission merely to write the arrangement, let alone sell it.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

I believe making a personal use arrangement that isn't performed or shared is within your rights (at least in the US), but don't quote me on that.

It's certainly not anything that could be posted here, though, and certainly not selling it.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

As long as noone else ever sees it - or hears it...
musicnerd
regular poster

Post by musicnerd »

Hum I get the point, thanks for the answers.

Edit: And since we are at it, in order to clear the issue, if I make a transcription of a PD work , for commercial purposes, is that ok?
nikolas
regular poster

Post by nikolas »

PD works: OK

NON PD works: Not ok.

In all honesty, I've been playing music for my friends for 20 years now (I play the piano and sing in good company! :D). I have never thought that the Beatles will come knocking on my door for playing "Let it be" to my friends, without paying royalties! Nor for whistling the tune while walking...

Private matters are private matters, selling is a whole lot of different business!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Private matters are private matters, selling is a whole lot of different business!
However it is legal to (say) play 'let it be' at a pub or bar without permission providing the pub (etc.) is registered to APRA (or international equivalent).