Happy Holidays

Moderator: kcleung

goldberg988
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Happy Holidays

Post by goldberg988 »

Hopefully today or tomorrow I will be uploading a special score to celebrate the holiday season. Think of it as an early Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa present. Here's a hint: it's 138 MB (in total), 400+ pages, and about a famous Belgian city...

Hope everyone is having a joyful holiday season.

-Lyndon
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

There is a famous Belgian city?

I'll get my coat.

(Seriously, no offence intended :) Looking forward to seeing it, nice work Lyndon.

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Noted. Did anyone know Belgium is nót the capital of Brussels?
goldberg988
forum adept

Post by goldberg988 »

Hmm, very enlightening, Peter. Or did you mean to say that Brussels is not the capital of Belgium? What am I missing here?

I'm slowly getting it all uploaded (my connection seems very slow this evening). Before you thank me, Philip, I should warn you that it was scanned from microfilm and thus is not of the greatest quality.

In any case, enjoy.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Wow, what a great contribution! Thanks!

How difficult/slow was it scanning from a microfilm reel? I've got some reels someone sent me a while back for digitization of Chabrier full opera scores but haven't been able to get around to it because the method available to me is quite slow. I'd love to know what your experiences were in scanning this great piece.
goldberg988
forum adept

Post by goldberg988 »

Well, I used the Canon MS 300 that was available in the library. I had a good deal of trouble figuring out how to use the device and how to make the scans look the way I wanted, but once I figured that out, it went pretty quickly. The whole thing took me about 2.5-3 hours just for the scanning (certainly faster than it would have taken with a real score and flatbed scanner).
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

What resolution for each exposure and how long (time)?
goldberg988
forum adept

Post by goldberg988 »

I scanned at 600 dpi (which obviously refers to inches on the resultant magnified image, not the microfilm), although it doesn't look nearly as clear as if I had scanned a full size score at 600 dpi (on the viewer it appeared clear enough. Perhaps there was something wrong with the focus).

As for "how long" I think that the answer you want is: each exposure would scan in about 15 sec. Is that what you meant?
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hooray! It is the Korngold! :) :)

Quality isn't brilliant as you say with all of those tram tracks, but its quite readable.

(And yes Peter, I do know the difference between my Bruges and my Bruxelles!)

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

goldberg, a lot of americans don't know belgium but dó know brussels, and we hear sometimes this idea that belgium would be the capital of brussels.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

goldberg, a lot of americans don't know belgium but dó know brussels, and we hear sometimes this idea that belgium would be the capital of brussels.
Well... some Australians think that Sydney is the capital of Australia... sooo....

We win for more retarded!!!!
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I thought Australia was the capital of Vienna??? :wink:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

In the next day or so I'll be going off-line for some time until several days into 2009, so have a good holiday and I'll catch you all next year. In the meantime for your enjoyment, I've uploaded facsimiles of the Codex buranus – the manuscript source, circa 1210–1230, for the texts of Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" (as well as two hundred other poems he didn't set to music).

Best regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Many thanks - where did you find that?
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

I was doing Carmina Burana last year as one of the chorus masters and people were getting tetchy about discrepancies in the sung text between different scores, at which point I found the Melb. Uni library had a copy of the facsimile - number 522 of a limited circulation of 600 copies. After brandishing it in anger at a rehearsal, the President of one of the choirs who was assisting with the concert programme asked if he could scan it for some of the illuminations - and he scanned the whole thing!

The resolution isn't huge, but it's good enough to read most of the songs, many of which have neumes of quasi-musical notation over the syllables; various people have reinterpreted these to attempt to make the songs performable in modern times.

The song “O fortuna” (the bit from the Orff that everyone knows) is at the foot of the first page with the illumination of Fortune sitting in the middle of her wheel, and the scribe who penned it used almost every trick in the book to abbreviate the latin words; besides which the last three words (“mecum omnes plangite”) are almost indistinguishable at the margin.

PML
--
PML (talk)