Canonical Hostname and Printable versions (moved from wiki)

Moderator: kcleung

imslp
Site Admin

Canonical Hostname and Printable versions (moved from wiki)

Post by imslp »

Discussion moved from wiki:

Code: Select all

A very minor issue, but if I'm not mistaken it should also be easy to change: I think it would be better to redirect (301) imslp.org to www.imslp.org. Currently each page appears under two separate URLs, one with and one without 'www'. --[[User:Leonard Vertighel|Leonard Vertighel]] 12:16, 23 May 2007 (EDT)

:Hmm... I'll put that on my todo list and check the Apache docs. Should be easy to do :) --[[User:Feldmahler|Feldmahler]] 17:50, 23 May 2007 (EDT)

::[http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/rewriteguide.html This could be a solution] (section "Canonical Hostnames"). By the way, it would also be very good to either disable the "Printable version" entirely (since it seems pretty useless on IMSLP, and moreover a printable version is generated automatically whenever you print a page), or at least add <code><meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" /></code> in the head part of the HTML code, so that they are no longer indexed by Google. I have come across those pages on Google several times, and they are ''very'' bad entry points to IMSLP (no navigation available). --[[User:Leonard Vertighel|Leonard Vertighel]] 04:17, 24 May 2007 (EDT)
I'll do the rewrite soon :) About the printable version... it needs to be a code hack right (i.e. there is no setting in LocalSettings.php that can fix this)? I can't seem to find such a function in any case, so I'm assuming I have to code hack.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

I just found out that the indexing of the printable version has been fixed in 1.10. Thus I think we can drop this issue for now. (I still think that the printable version is superfluous for our purposes, but since it will no longer be indexed by the search engines, it becomes a very minor issue that may not warrant code hacking.)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Ah good. I'm planning to upgrade to either 1.10, or hopefully 1.11 with the new image system in August.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Canonical Hostnames fixed also :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Great. In theory this could even be beneficial for our Google ranking (more inbound links per page, as they are no longer spread over two separate hosts).