Viewing the scores on Adobe

Moderator: kcleung

crimbo912
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Viewing the scores on Adobe

Post by crimbo912 »

It is difficult to follow along a four-hand piano score on pdf since only one page is displayed at a time. I tried to change the display settings to two page so that both parts are shown. However, the security that comes along with the downloaded files prevents document assmbly for whatever reason, so I can't do that. Is there any way to remedy this?
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Viewing the scores on Adobe

Post by pml »

Hi crimbo,

Most PDF viewing apps give you the option of seeing 2 pages side-by-side; the only difficulty is if the PDF starts on a verso (left-hand page), in which case the PDF will not display adjacent pages side-by-side, but instead the front and back of the same leaf. If this is the case, you need only insert a blank page at the start of the file to rejig the sequence. (Traditionally books in Western printing always start with a recto, or right-hand page, which should be odd-numbered.)

On Mac OS, the included Preview app will happily insert blank pages into PDFs. On Windows or Linux, I'd probably use PDF Split and Merge, not being aware if there's a similar feature built into one of the bundled apps.

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)
pierre.chepelov
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by pierre.chepelov »

In Adobe Reader you will find the option under: View > Page Display > Two-Up.

If the PDF was correctly made, you should have the option: View > Page Display > Show Cover Page During Two-Up turned on.
If it isn't (and you see the right page on the left, and the next left page on the right!), turn the option off.

This "2-Up" option doesn't work in Full screen mode, alas.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

I certainly don't have that option in my view menu...
hyfrenaa

Post by hyfrenaa »

What are some alternative softwares of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator which can be downloaded for free? Can anyone please tell me some other software which are free alternatives for Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator?
Last edited by hyfrenaa on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

I use the Foxit free reader on a notebook with limited RAM. It's fine - no Adobe code-bloat.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

The built-in and feature-light Preview on Mac also supports two-page display (and allows insertion of blank pages to ensure a verso and recto occupy the left and right sides of the screen): View → PDF Display → Two Pages

Not bad, even if it craps out badly on some of the larger PDFs held on IMSLP!

Cheers PML
--
PML (talk)