Incorrect Attribution

Moderator: kcleung

jossuk
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Incorrect Attribution

Post by jossuk »

I see the following in the list of recently added scores: Schoenberg: Piano Quartet No. 1 (#103211).
Shouldn't the composer be Brahms?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Incorrect Attribution

Post by KGill »

Yup - if you click on the page, you'll find that it already redirects to the Brahms. There's no way (at the moment, at least) for the recent additions list to update to reflect changes like this, but rest assured it has been fixed behind the scenes.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Thanks - My original thought re the posting was "Is this the Schoenberg transcription, and is it public domain?"
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

It is public domain only in Canada and other countries with a 50 p.m.a. term. If the copyright was renewed after 28 years in the USA, it is protected until 2034. Protected until 2022 in the EU and other 70 p.m.a. countries if protected in USA. Country of origin = country of first publication under the Berne treaty. As first publication was in USA, it could be free in the EU due to rule of the shorter term if the copyright was not renewed in a timely manner. This is extremely unlikely to be the case, however.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Many thanks, Carolus, for your careful elucidation. I should have been more precise in describing my initial reaction to seeing the listing, which was, essentially, "what led to this contribution being listed as by Schoenberg rather than by Brahms, since it is highly unlikely that the Schoenberg transcription could be public domain?"