Your chance to weigh in on typesetting

Moderator: kcleung

Notenschreiber
active poster

Re: Your chance to weigh in on typesetting

Post by Notenschreiber »

@JP. The software "PDFtoMusic Pro" gives the possibility to play back pdf files, and it can produce MusicXml files from
them. It does not work for all pdfs, but only for those, which are created by a notation program. There is a demo version
available (look at google) with the restriction to one sheet of music only. I tried this and it works pretty well.
Notenschreiber
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by steltz »

i would like to caution anyone using this, and also programs that use optical character recognition, to proofread with a very critical eye. I find these types of programs produce scores with missing or wrong articulations, missing dynamics, rehearsal numbers that are mistaken for semibreves or other long note values. In general, if you don't do a lot of manual work afterward, the result is very sloppy.

I have used such programs in order to get parts from public domain scores, and although it does save a little bit of time, it's not as much as one might think, given what has to be corrected afterward.
bsteltz
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

steltz wrote:[...]Alternatively, just tell us what your worst reading experience was with a badly copied piece of music. So far we have:[...]

Anybody want to add anything?.
I've compiled a collection of "bad experiences" like this here:http://icking-music-archive.org/lists/s ... isier.html along with three other documents I am aware of. Hope this helps.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

A good part of the notation advices in the icking article is automatically respected by modern notation programs.
@steltz- If you take for example the first page of http://imslp.org/wiki/6_Lieder_im_Freie ... ,_Felix%29, make an xml out of it by
using PdftoMusic pro and open this file with Sibelius, no mistake will occur and nothing is missing. (There are only some spacing problems with the text, not with the music).
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

@Coulonnus -- Thanks, I've included this link into the document.

@Notenschreiber -- does this work with any PDF file? The product description only guarantees that it will work with scores typeset with a modern package, i.e. it seems I wouldn't be able to get accuracy with a PDF of an early 20th century print.
bsteltz
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

PdftoMusic can only be applied on PDF´s which are created with notation programs. It reconstructs the original structures of
the sheetmusic from which the pdf was created. With a copy of a printed score PdftoMusic can do nothing. But users
like jpaden are looking for notation program files of new typesetted scores at IMSLP, and for this purpose PdftoMusic works
pretty good.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

I'm curious as to what revision of MusicXML this program exports its files? I couldn't find this info on the product website.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

From the user manuel:

"Enable MusicXML format extensions
PDFtoMusic Pro is based on the MusicXML format. To import MusicXML files that have been created by PDFtoMusic Pro, you must use Melody Assistant version 7.3 or more, or Harmony Assistant version 9.3 or more.

Although very complete, MusicXML format in its version 1.1 doesn't manage some objects that can be found on scores. In agreement with the MusicXML team, we added specific commands to the MusicXML format.
If the software used for reading the XML files is compliant with the standard, these additional commands won't be a problem. In the best case, they will be processed, and in the worst, simply ignored.
Otherwise, disable this option to forbid any extension to the standard.

Create MusicXML even if no vector music data have been extracted
PDFtoMusic reads the PDF document in search for a music score. If it can't find any, for instance if you ask PDFtoMusic to process a payslip, you will be warned through and alert box that no vector musical data could be located.
This can also occur when a PDF document doesn't contain a score made of elemental graphic object, but a scanned music sheet.
Activating this option forces PDFtoMusic to generate a MusicXML file from these data, even if they are not considered as music data.
To date, only Harmony Assistant or Melody Assistant enable to load such MusicXML documents.

Export measures filled with rest as empty measures
Enables not to export in the MusicXML files the rests that fill completely the measure. These measures will be considered by the software that imports the file as filled by a "logical" rest instead of a "physical" one. In some cases, in can ease the edit process.

Use MusicXML 2.0 format
When this option is ticked, the export is made in MusicXML 2.0 format.
This format, more advanced, enables to keep more information about the score appearance, but might not be supported by music notation programs."

I hope you find here the desired information, Notenschreiber
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Thank you