Counting downloads

Moderator: kcleung

Notenschreiber
active poster

Counting downloads

Post by Notenschreiber »

On the workpages one can find now the number of downloads. What does this mean exactly?
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Counting downloads

Post by Carolus »

It tells you how many times a given file has been downloaded since the inception of the counter program (which I think is today, October 2, 2010). It's a useful item to have to see which files might be most in need of upgrading to a better quality scan, etc. We've been averaging over 100,000 downloads per day for some time now.
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

@ Carolus - Why would it help us see which file needs a better quality scan?

@ Notenschreiber - Yes, this (among other wonderful things) was employed on IMSLP earlier today (about 10-11 hours ago). What it means is that we can now track the number of times a particular file has been viewed.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

@BKhon: If there's a file we are getting a large number of downloads for which has a scan that was not of very good quality, we would know that it was a priority to find a better scan for the benefit of our users. The Variations Project scans from Indiana University, for example, are quite low resolution (72 dpi as I recall). If there were a piece where we only had the low-resolution scan which gets a lot of traffic, it would be a good idea to find (or create) a nicer one.
choul
forum adept

Post by choul »

Is it possible to get a list with the large number of downloads/bad quality scans?

I don't mind to clean some scores when possible, but it's a bit difficult now to find those less quality ones that can be improved.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

The other thing to look for with frequently downloaded files, besides quality of the images, is the size of the files. If the size can be reduced (regardless of image quality), that can help with bandwidth, etc.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)