Haydn baryton trios / arrs. Ruyssen, Piatigorsky, Andreae?

Moderator: kcleung

Celloyo
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Haydn baryton trios / arrs. Ruyssen, Piatigorsky, Andreae?

Post by Celloyo »

Hello,

I wondered if anyone could shed light on this matter?
Haydn wrote, popularly regarded, many works for his patron's instrument - the baryton.

Now, with this, there're all those good old 19-20C arrangements, of unclear-origin.
Speaking of the Haydn baryton works in particular, ones popularly were made [mostly] for cello/celli ensembles (cello's being one of the nearer relatives of nearly nonextant baryton).

We take Haydn'n Hob.XI:113. Ruyssen's version of it is on the server, here:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Baryton_Trio,_Hob ... n,_Joseph)

1st, 2nd mvts ... okay, following close to Haydn's original ..
But then - what is this menuette?? ... not the original ... plus, an extra fugue-ish finale added(!)
Andreae's version is equal in content (more or less). Only - source not mentioned - and now it's "divertimento for three 'celli" by Haydn, ed. Andreae

Piatigorsky - similar content (that new menuette) ... different order of movements, Allegro di molto is last now. Sources its content "from Haydn's Baryton trios."

So(!) finally, does anyone really know where all this non-Hob.XI:113 music came from? I did not manage to find it yet in any of Haydn's other Baryton trios ... any help or interest is very appreciated and welcome!!!

Many thanks :-)
K. K.
steltz
active poster

Re: Haydn baryton trios / arrs. Ruyssen, Piatigorsky, Andrea

Post by steltz »

I once tried to work out the origins of some arranged trios by Haydn, and they all came from movements of the baryton trios cobbled together from all different ones. It took ages.

I don't know why you are asking this question, but if it is for the purposes of directing people to the originals within IMSLP, I would imagine each arrangement would have to have its own page, with cross-references to the proper pages. Someone will have to look through each trio, and all the baryton trios to find the originals. :(
bsteltz
Celloyo
regular poster

Re: Haydn baryton trios / arrs. Ruyssen, Piatigorsky, Andrea

Post by Celloyo »

Are you certain then, that the rest of Ruyssen's version (that is not from Hob.XI:113) is found within the collection of the baryton works? So no loosing hope? And yes, I supposed we should have this edition put in its place - it should not be on that page, especially not in place of Haydn's own music.

It would be nice to do some cross referencing - both ways - so people know where music was sourced from. But it is not my place to decide what should be done, as I am not the one doing the work - though I would be happy to become involved ... if you may like to tell how I could help in this matter ..? Thank you :) I could do this looking - if I had access to the barytons ...

Aside from this, would it be possible to start a project of covering Haydn's baryton works with (faithfully published scores / manuscript? I have not found much information on the availability / existence of either.

Thank you for the last reply!
K K :)