The Warriors

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

thefrenchhornguy
regular poster

The Warriors

Post by thefrenchhornguy »

I realize that Grainger has been discussed by this community since its conception and that the general conclusion reached was that his works were not PD. However, I have reason to believe, based on perusing the discussions in these threads and a little research that the original full orchestra score of Percy Grainger's "The Warriors - music to an imaginary ballet" is in the Public Domain in both Canada and the U.S. I ask for a final clarification on the matter: Is "The Warriors" PD or not in Canada and the U.S.?

In short, this is a request for the full orchestral score of Percy Grainger's "The Warriors".
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: The Warriors

Post by daphnis »

Grainger will not be public domain in Canada until 1 January 2012, again making inclusion of this score here, regardless of whether public domain in US, impossible until at least that time.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: The Warriors

Post by Carolus »

As Daphnis mentioned, all of Grainger's work is protected in Canada until 1/1/2012 - despite the fact that many titles, including the Warriors (which has been reprinted by Kalmus) are free in the USA. Grainger became a US citizen in 1918, but Canada does not employ the "Rule of the Shorter Term." Interestingly, works which are PD in the USA issued after his US citizenship might be free in the EU thanks to the EU's employment of the "Rule of the Shorter Term" for non-EU works. This would include his most famous work, Lincolnshire Posy.