PDF files "corrupt" or download troubles?

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

imslp
Site Admin

PDF files "corrupt" or download troubles?

Post by imslp »

I've recently received a few e-mails saying that PDF files downloaded cannot be opened. This should not happen with any of the files on IMSLP; so if it does happen, it is not normal. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this problem no matter how much I try (I've tried all the browsers and no luck). Therefore, I would like people who encounter this problem to post in this thread and answer the following questions:

1. What is the IMSLP number of the file you downloaded?
2. What is the work page that the file is on?
3. What browser (and version; please be specific [ex. IE 6.0.2900]) did you use to download the file? The entire version string can usually be found in the About box in the Help menu.
4. What PDF viewer are you using to view the file?
5. What is the size of the file if you saved the file to your hard disk?

Thanks!
gprimiceri

Post by gprimiceri »

Balakirev_-_Collection_of_Popular_Russian_Songs.pdf

I have got BLANK pages! :(
What about?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Can you open the file from the Sibley page (http://hdl.handle.net/1802/3042)? Also please answer the other questions in my first post (i.e. what browser, PDF viewer, etc.)
gprimiceri

Post by gprimiceri »

Now all right.
I used GSview; with Adobe Reader now I can see Balakirev pdf.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Ah... I find GSView unreliable viewing PDF files. I'd recommend Foxit or (if your on linux) XPDF/KPDF
gprimiceri

Post by gprimiceri »

I've tried Foxit: fantastic! Also in italian.
Thank You very very much.
emeraldimp
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by emeraldimp »

Yes, I've found that I'll often end up (when converting tif to pdf with ImageMagick) with the resulting PDF displaying poorly in gv. I think the problem is related to a lack of dimension information, and so gv just formats it big, with the actual image in the lower left corner. If I change the page size (ie to letter or A4 or something close to the actual size of the image), it displays properly. Maybe we should note that somewhere on the site...
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Files known to have this problem: #01898, #02174, #03830, #03848. People who also have this problem might try downloading these files (you can look up the work page using the "search IMSLP #" function in the sidebar), and see if you can download them.